You cannot select more than 25 topics
Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
I had been using the app SMS Backup
& Restore for quite a while. After getting a new phone and using the app to transfer the messages over as I was used to, I noticed some messages were missing.
I tried to find out why this was happening. It was because of a "new" message type called RCS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services
Essentially those messages are stored in a separate database on the phone, hence not considered regular text messages.
Unfortunately SMS BR is not able to export this kind of messages (as of September 2021).
I didn't want to reinvent the wheel - there are already enough backup/restore apps for SMS and MMS. Instead I just wanted to make an app that was able to export the RCS messages, too. Preferably it should be a format that SMS BR could then import.
## So if you're interested:
1. Backup your SMS and MMS messages with another program, e.g. SMS BR
2. Import them on the target phone.
3. Export the RCS messages using this app.
4. Import those on the new phone as well, e.g. with SMS BR.
- This program cannot IMport anything, just export.
- Technically the RCS messages will be converted to SMS messages.
- This program has only been tested with text messages. I don't know if images, etc. can be exported as well.
- Because I don't see any real value in RCS messages over SMS, I deactivated advanced messaging in my SMS app. I encourage you to consider doing the same.